The Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute (CCCADI) is now accepting submissions for Volume II of "Women Warriors of the Afro-Latina Diaspora." We invite Afro-Latina writers of the Diaspora to submit essays and poetry to this upcoming work. Submissions should explore the intersectionality that being Afro-Latina has on our lives and the multilayered impact that racism has on the lives of Afro-Latinas in the following areas: immigration, arts & culture, economy, environment/climate justice, health, politics, racism, digital culture, parenting, sexuality, gender, and education. All essays should consider the political and social climate of our time and how these factors impact the daily lives of Afro-Latinas across the Spanish Speaking African Diaspora.
If you are interested in other topic areas, please submit a 1-page topic proposal to email@example.com.
Volume I of "Women Warriors of the Afro-Latina Diaspora" is a collection of eleven essays and four poems in which Latina women of African descent share their stories. The authors included are from all over Latin America and they write about the African diaspora and issues such as colonialism, oppression, and disenfranchisement. The contributors' professions range from artists to grass-roots activists, scholars and elected officials. Each is engaged in her community, and they all use their positions to advocate for justice, racial equality and cultural equity.
The extended submission deadline is May 1, 2017.
All submissions should explicitly relate to one or more of the topics listed above. Full submissions that meet the guidelines are required by the submission deadline of May 1, 2017(11:59PM). Please read the submission guidelines carefully to ensure your submission meets the requirements. After May 1, 2017, essays will be reviewed by our Women Warriors Reading Committee and a limited number of essays will be considered for inclusion in Volume II of "Women Warriors of the Afro-Latina Diaspora." Other authors will be invited to publish their submissions on other digital platforms (to be announced at a future date).
- Essays should be 3-5 pages in length (double-spaced with a font size of 12 pt; Times or Times New Roman preferred)
- Include a short bio (200 words or less) and contact information with e-mail and phone number
- All submissions should explicitly relate to one or more of the topics listed above
- Attach essays as WORD documents (or PDFs). WORD documents preferred
- Send email and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For any questions, please email our Director of Public Programs, Suhaly Bautista-Carolina: email@example.com
- Subject line must include your name and the title, "Women Warriors"